Feb 3, 2012

"23 % dos portugueses nunca pensam na morte, 5 % sempre"

- Yesterday in the middle of a not-very-interesting computer animation about a young man who loses his father to cancer and develops a protecting insensibility that turns almost lethal, a sentence (not a citation, poor memory):

   He learned that if you don't lose hope on time, there will be nobody left to say good-by to.

- Today some guardian article about Bronnie Ware, a long-time nurse in palliative care who made a list of  the most frequent death-beds regrets she heard:
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
... "Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. ... Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
" There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
" Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice....Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

No comments:

Post a Comment